Sunday, July 30, 2006

Yes, it's really that bad.

Yesterday in the 100 degree heat I played in a game with my CSC rec league team and grabbed myself a hat trick. Went from that right to work and bragged a little about my exploits to a fellow employee who replied with this:

Sean: How good are you at soccer?

Me: I do ok in the rec league stuff.

Sean: You ever thought about maybe playing pro?

Yeah, that's right. He asked me, a kid who only started playing soccer at the level I do two years ago, if I could play at a professional level. No one would ever ask that if I were out in the street playing basketball, or street hockey, or football. But so little is known about profesional soccer here in the US that my co-worker (and I'm sure he's not the only one out there) thought that anyone could get to that level with ease. That's scary. The MLS is growing, but with only two teams in the midwest we seemed to be looked over yet again, especially when you look at the lack of coverage that the Thunder get as the only USL team between the Oregon and New York.

Lightning Lose in PKs to Charlotte


The Minnesota Lightning's incredible first season has come to an end. Last night they lost in penalty kicks to Charlotte. The loss brought the inagural campaign to an end, but the memories will keep us through until the next W-League season kicks off (especially since we'd all like to forget much of the Thunder's season this year). Who can forget goalkeeper Joanna Haig punting the ball nearly the length of the field for Holly Gault to knock home, getting an assist in the very first game for the franchise. That 4-1 win set the tone for a season that was truely special. All Minnesota soccer fans should be looking forward to next season with hopes of a regular season division title and another shot at the playoffs.

Ugly Loss at St James Park

American star DeMarcus Beasley was on the bench as PSV Eindhoven visited the Toon. IT was an ugly debut for new signing Damien Duff as Newcastle went down 2-0 before the break and gave up another quickly afterwards. Down 3-0 I shut down the match tracker. I couldn't bring myself to watch any more. Turns out we came back with shots from Ameobi and Luque to bring it to 3-2. Bad thing is we looked like shit. Good thing is that the two guys who will need to put the ball in the onion bag for the first half of the season (and then again when Owen goes back on the bench from another injury) found the back of the net. Ameobi is looking down right stellar so far this year too. I thought after Alan retired and Chopra moved on we'd be thin up front. Then when Owen went down I figured we were in for a long season, but if Shola can keep this form rolling we may be alright.

More Toon News

Former Arsenal star Sol Campbell wants a move to St James Park. Or at least that is the rumor.

No comments: